Ravens and Flacco Agree to New Deal

Discussion in 'NFL Football Discussion' started by KMoney, Mar 1, 2013.

1. KMoney

KMoney Administrator Staff Member

ESPN
  2. KMoney

Largest QB contract (i'm assuming largest NFL contract that means) of all time.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. dolfan2004

dolfan2004 SRMer

Yup, the martyrdom of guys like Brady and Ben lowering their salary for a 8 figure check in hand wasn't stopping Flacco from getting paid.
  4. KMoney

I think I would have franchised him, figure if he doesn't have a huge year or win the super bowl again they'd pay him less.
  5. KMoney

6 Years $120.6 million. Get the fuck outta here with that.
  6. mesahotguy5

mesahotguy5 SRMer

Bye Bye Baltimore with that contract. Paying him more than Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Mannings is insane
  7. dolfan2004

dolfan2004 SRMer

Here's the problem with that. You then have to base it off market value (this isn't saying he is the best QB, he was just the next top tier QB to get paid)... If you are Baltimore, you want to get him paid before Green Bay pays Rodgers, or Atlanta pays Ryan. Because the market price would only be higher after those two sign the dotted line.
  8. dolfan2004

dolfan2004 SRMer

It's the business... Happened with Vick, Eli, Vick another time, Ben, etc... Should Mario Williams be the highest paid defender? Not if it was based on best player = highest contract, but it isn't. It is based on the market that is out their for the position... Also, just to point it out... Over the past 2-3 seasons, especially 2, I'm taking Flacco over Brady or Manning... Because he has immensely outplayed them in the post season. I have no problem with this contract, and anyone who was expecting him to get less than Brees got, doesn't really pay attention to how the player market works... Is Mike Wallace a top 5 WR, no, I'd say top 10, but, if Miami makes him the 2nd highest paid WR, behind megatron, I won't be upset, because it is what the market dictates. If you want to pay them "what they are worth" good luck fielding a top notch team on a consistent basis.
  9. mesahotguy5

mesahotguy5 SRMer

The thing is Flacco played out of his mind for FOUR games. Sure he was okay throughout the regular season but then just went en fuego. Smart thing wouldve been to franchise him and let him prove his worth next year.
  10. KMoney

Yeah, but he won't be able to match this year. Not saying he had an MVP season because he didn't, but he had a good year and a super bowl victory. So basically if he has a similar regular season and the ravens don't make the playoffs next year or get bounced in the first round his contract would be probably in the 15 million a year range. Hell he could come out and have a poor year and dropped the price tag significantly. Oh well not my problem, but if I were a ravens fan I'd be upset with it for sure.
  11. mesahotguy5

mesahotguy5 SRMer

This reminds me of the Troy Hudson for the Minnesota Timberwolves. He was a very average player, he then played out of his mind in 1 series of the playoffs against the Lakers and we gave him a giant contract, he immediately became one of the worst players on our team before the ink was dry.

If I was GM, its going to take a lot more than 4 games for you to be the richest player in the NFL
  12. gribbzz

gribbzz SRMer

This guy is the opposite of a team guy. I get he needs to get paid as its his second contract but that is bananas. Brady won 3 superbowls and wouldn't make that much. This guy will win only 1 in his career.

Whatever.
  13. dolfan2004

dolfan2004 SRMer

Most playoff wins in first 5 years by a QB, 5 years in the league... 5 years in the playoffs... I'm pretty sure he might have the most road playoff wins of all time... Never missed a start... Greatest QB in franchise history... Then to boot, you let him walk, who starts? You think he wouldn't get that $ from Arizona, Cleveland, etc.

Here are problems I have with not signing him to this deal...

Tag him... His cap # is then $19 million... Where they manufacturing the $ for guys like Ellerby, Kruger, Reed, whoever?

Then, this is a guy they obviously are confident in... He leads them to the playoffs, waits for Rodgers and Ryan to get paid, his price tag then goes up even more.

Also, prove yourself? Flacco, IMO, was the best QB in each of the past two playoffs... If not for the butterfingers of Lee Evans, and the choke job of Cundiff, this is the QB of back-to-back AFC champions.

What does he have to prove? When Brady was putting up pedestrian numbers but playing clutch in the postseason, everyone was quick to designate him amongst the top QBs, Flacco is doing it, but now he has to put up his playoff numbers in the regular season? No...

All that matters, this is a QB, more than capable of winning titles for you, he has 7-8 years left, if not 10-12, left in the tank, he is out there every week, and he is their QB, lock him up, you don't mess around... You got a young franchise QB, you don't flirt with pushing him away.
  14. dolfan2004

dolfan2004 SRMer

Brady hasn't won one in 9 years... If Michael Jordan wanted to join your NBA contract, you paying him more than LeBron?

You can not compare his situation to Brady's... Brady did what he did to lock up his position until he walks away when he is 40, while freeing up money to try to get 1 last run for the lombardi... Flacco is the main bread winner for his family... Brady makes a 3rd of what his wife does... The money isn't nearly as necessary to Brady as it is to Flacco... Also, taking less than the market dictates for a Super Bowl QB in his prime is a slap in the face to the entire players union. They fought tooth and nail with the owners to get them the $ and benefits the players want, you don't then turn around and undercut their efforts by leaving money on the table.

The teams are not loyal, look at John Abraham... He signed a team friendly contract for ATL last year, registered 1/3rd of his teams sacks... Cut a year later... You think he is getting that full contract? Teams are quick to cut guys at their benefit, so as a player, you have to get what you can, when you can. Just because Brady is willing to take less than he could get doesn't mean every player should stop looking out for their best interests.
  15. mesahotguy5

mesahotguy5 SRMer

The Baltimore D and Ray Rice won a lot of those games, Flacco just had to be decent. Flacco was a slightly above average QB as of Week 17 this year. Then he gets in playoffs and goes berserk. If Im an owner I want Flacco to show he has stepped up to the berserk level for more than a month in order to get berserk money.
  16. dolfan2004

dolfan2004 SRMer

Flacco has done his part to get to the last two Super Bowls... I want a QB that will get me to the playoffs (5 for 5)... And plays his best on the biggest stage? Do I think Flacco is the best? No... Doesn't matter, we all follow enough to know that is not how the NFL player market works... You have a QB that can get you to the promise land, great... Pay him and move on, because they are few and far between, and the price for them, it only goes up if you wait around to give him his contract.
  17. MatticusHB6

MatticusHB6 SRMer

The owner took a risk last year by not signing him to a longer deal. Flacco rode it out last year and ended up hitting the lottery by getting hot at the right time. He is a super-bowl winning quarterback who is young and playoff tested. Flacco got to walk back into the owners office and say pull your pants down bend over and leave your wallet on the desk. If you don't pay me and I walk your fan base will probably kill you in the parking lot.

Is he the best QB no, but he's also still young where as P. Manning, Brady are getting older.
    Rodgers is the best of the QB's in their prime, but Flacco is probably 2nd.
  18. Boda

Boda Moderator Staff Member

Completely over paid for Flacco, 20M/yr is ridiculous for him
  19. dolfan2004

dolfan2004 SRMer

Here is their options... Pay him this contract... Tag him ($19 million, all against the cap), thus leaving barely anything to resign anyone else, then have the price driven up for a long term deal by Ryan and Rodgers pending deals... Let him hit the open market, where the price tag just gets driven up, by teams like Cleveland, Arizona, possibly the Jets if they could clear room, Buffalo, etc. many teams would be willing to take him off their hands...

You can't look at it like, "Flacco is the 6th best QB, so he should make the 6th most money amongst QBs", not the way the business works...

Bottom line, tagging him would be a bad decision, and last resort... And what is more costly to them "over-paying" their franchise QB, or losing him?
  20. Boda

Not sure where you're getting 19M from tagging him. It's about 14M. Tagging him would have been the best option as I wasn't looking at it like Flacco is the 6th best QB, which BTW he isn't. Just because he had a good postseason doesn't make up for the fact that he played okay during the regular season, a sub 50 QBR doesn't bold well & if it wasn't for Ray Rice's miracle conversion on 4th & 29 Flacco doesn't even get the chance to do anything in the playoffs.

It's going to get a lot more difficult for Baltimore going forward, they no longer have Ray Lewis & more than likely Ed Reed is going to be gone as well, even if Reed does come back who else are they going to lose? Birk retired. My guess is that Baltimore misses the playoffs completely next season and everyone will wonder why Flacco got paid so much money. Now sure I could be wrong I guess time will tell, but no way is he worth that and I'm sure if they would have just tagged him for the 14M they could have not only resigned other vital pieces but it would have brought Flacco's value back down to reality. Somewhere in that 10-15M per year range. Before the playoffs Flacco probably makes somewhere between 8-10M after his performance he should be getting somewhere between 12-15M not 20M. The Packers better hope Rodgers doesn't want to get paid because with Flacco's 20M Rodgers should easily get 25-30M
  21. dolfan2004

dolfan2004 SRMer

Non exclusive tag... Exclusive, which they would have put on him is $19
  22. Boda

Okay so if they are going to re-sign him anyways why not just use the Non Exclusive Tag? I honestly don't know what the difference is.
  23. gco211

gco211 Moderator

Average of the top ten contracts at the position and another team can make an offer sheet. They'd put in a poison pill (if he plays four games in the state of Maryland in 2013, the contract is fully guaranteed) and the Ravens would lose him for two first rounders.
  24. dolfan2004

dolfan2004 SRMer

Because if they are only going to pay 14-15 mil per year, like you suggest, they will not get a deal done, and risk losing him to another team. If they stick to what you are suggesting, you open the door to other teams paying him... Front offices have guys that forecast what the market will be... They aren't going to give him an extra $30 million, because he wants it and tey are feeling generous... They paid him MARKET value... That's what you have to focus on, it isn't about the production as much as it is the market... And if you wait, the market isn't going down, with guys like Rodgers, Ryan, Karpernick, etc due extensions within the next year.
  25. dolfan2004

dolfan2004 SRMer

To certain teams (Arizona in particular) I doubt they have any issue in parting with 2 1s for a guy like Flacco.
  26. gco211

gco211 Moderator

Oh yeah, I'd guess somewhere around ten or so teams would be up for it.
  27. dolfan2004

dolfan2004 SRMer

Flacco's cap number this year is $6.8 million... This is why the tag couldn't be more than a last resort, that is $12.2 million that would have been on his cap #, that is now free to spend on other players... The deal is backloaded, and he will restructure in a few years (they are not taking a $29 million cap hit in 2016).
  28. gribbzz

gribbzz SRMer

I wasn't talking about Brady and this most recent extension. I was talking about Brady the year after winning his 3rd title. Not to mention Manning. While both of them have been paid very well they have always had money to go to other players. This deal hurts the Ravens in my opinion.

Good for him, he got paid. I'm just glad he isn't on my team.
  29. dolfan2004

dolfan2004 SRMer

The majority of his $ will be paid in signing bonuses... It doesn't hurt the team... He is taking up less of Baltimore's cap this year than Brady is New England's... And they are not going to go into 1016 with his cap # at $29 million... They will restructure like Ben did in Pittsburgh this offseason... They essentially just put off a signing bonus, by labeling it as future salary right now.
  30. TyKixx

TyKixx SRMer

I'd love for the Vikings to make Chrisitan Ponder the highest paid player of all time after winning the Super Bowl.