Source: Chicago Sun-Times
Bears running back Matt Forte refused to discuss his ongoing contract dispute with the organization at the PopChips Game Changers charity event Friday at Marist High School, but he spoke of his optimism for the season.
Forte has yet to sign the franchise tender that would net him $7.7 million for the 2012 season, but he said last Friday that he and the Bears have been talking and that the sides are much closer than they were last year.
They have until July 16 to agree to a long-term deal. Otherwise, Forte would play under the franchise tag.
He said he's excited to play for new offensive coordinator Mike Tice, who was promoted from offensive line coach.
"Coach Tice is a great coach, and I've known that since he's coached Maurice Jones-Drew down in Jacksonville and Fred Taylor with their running game," Forte said. "So I had an idea it was going to be the same thing.
"I'm excited to get in there and talk to [the coaches] and get in there with Jay and see what he thinks about the passing game and see how I can get involved in that, too."
Forte, who said he has been in touch with Jay Cutler, reported that he's feeling the benefits of a more rigorous training regimen.
Welcome to Sports Rumor Mill - Sports News & Rumors!
Sports forum & discussion about the latest sports rumors from the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB and more. Talk about rumors from your favorite team.
You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.