Federal judge admits to Obama racist/beastiality email - stays on job

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Lawdog, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Lawdog

Lawdog Administrator Staff Member

You wonder why a lot of folks still think racism is pervasive? Try this one on for size and if you have the stomach, try to find the sharp 'legal reasoning' behind the well heeled federal judge that admits sending it, justifying the same:

Judge Richard Cebull admits to anti-Obama email

[​IMG]
    Cebull said he could 'understand why people would be offended.' | Reuters

By MJ LEE | 3/1/12 6:14 AM EST Updated: 3/1/12 7:45 AM EST

The chief federal judge of Montana on Wednesday admitted to sending a racially charged email about President Barack Obama that seems to compare African-Americans to dogs, but denied circulating the note because it was racist, saying he only did it because it was “anti-Obama.”

The email, first obtained by the Great Falls Tribune, was forwarded by Chief U.S. District Judge Richard Cebull last week from his court email account to seven recipients — including his own personal email address — under the subject line, “A MOM’S MEMORY.”

“Normally I don’t send or forward a lot of these, but even by my standards, it was a bit touching. I want all of my friends to feel what I felt when I read this. Hope it touches your heart like it did mine,” Cebull’s email begins.

The text continues on to this joke: “A little boy said to his mother; ‘Mommy, how come I’m black and you’re white?’ His mother replied, ‘Don’t even go there Barack! From what I can remember about that party, you’re lucky you don’t bark!’”

In an interview with the Tribune, Cebull acknowledged that the email was racist but maintained that he doesn’t consider himself a racist and that the note was meant to remain private.

“The only reason I can explain it to you is I am not a fan of our president, but this goes beyond not being a fan,” the judge told the publication. “I didn’t send it as racist, although that’s what it is. I sent it out because it’s anti-Obama.”

He also offered an apology, saying he could “understand why people would be offended.”
    Cebull was appointed by President George W. Bush in 2001 and has been the chief judge since 2008.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0312/73486.html#ixzz1ns4ZslfO
  2. gribbzz

gribbzz SRMer

That guy can keep his job but this guy gets demoted:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/29/us-obama-photo-police-idUSTRE81S07220120229

[​IMG]

This guy is a moron.
  3. Ronin

Ronin Sexual Tyrannosaurus Staff Member

I don't agree with Philly fans but I don't ever remember saying anything personally offensive.

What is it in people that say truly ugly things and then express outrage when they get called on it?

Disagree with me all you want, I love a good debate. But why must I be degraded because you live with a different faction?
  4. Bpow0407

Bpow0407 SRMer

That email was inappropriate, and its even worse that he sent it from his work email.

But am I the only one who didn't read the text as relating African Americans to dogs? As the title of the thread notes, I think it moreso is making a reference to beastiality... and maybe not even that, maybe just an intended exaggeration that the "mother" was so drunk at the party that she would have even slept with an animal? I can't read that part of it to be racist, necessarily - just vulgar.
  5. Lawdog

Judicial temperment my ass. If I were on the Montana bar, I would set a hearing before the legal entity that polices/supervises judicial grievances and when Judge Lovedoggies shows up, I would have a group of dogs in wigs and robes in the seats where other judges would sit, preferably show quality.
  6. Negrodamus

Negrodamus SRMer

That's how I was reading it too.
  7. Bpow0407

Bpow0407 SRMer

So, in short, the email is calling Obama's mother a whore. Which is still rude, but not exactly racist.
  8. gribbzz

gribbzz SRMer

No that part isn't racist but the whole premise of the 'joke' is racist. "How come Im black and you're white?". It's just really dumb what some people do on work emails. I can't imagine ever doing something like that on a work email. I am all for politically incorrect humor but I have a private email address for that.
  9. Lawdog

Plus, according to the premise of the joke, it would appear Barack's white mom digs the diddily with dogs? Just vulgar and stupid, with the joke teller admitting a racist intent but like BPow indicates, it could just be the teller's spin more than the words of the joke themselves. That said, what kind of power trippy federal judge cops to being racist like that?
  10. Ronin

Just plain disrespectful.

Why this Barack Obama wants to be the president of such people is beyond me.
  11. Ronin

Don't forget she might just sleep with a dog if there is enough booze around. Yeah, great email.
  12. Bpow0407

Bpow0407 SRMer

That's called exaggerating. People do it all the time. Thus why exaggeration was used in the joke for effect; she was so drunk she.... could have slept with a dog?

Next time someone says they were so hungry they could have ate a horse, I'm going to assume they enjoy horse meat on occasion, if hungry enough.
  13. Bpow0407

Bpow0407 SRMer

I don't think the question of why someone is one race while their parent is another race is racist. Insinuating that there is something inherently wrong with that situation would be racist.

The only way I can read the joke as racist is if you read into the mother's comment about being so drunk she could have slept with a dog, and conclude that her drunkenness caused her to make poor decisions, and that sleeping with a black man was therefore a bad decision. That insinuation would be racist.
  14. Ronin

Said in the context of normal conversation I'd agree. But while part of a joke is meant to inflame or degrade, there is no explanation of this. It's this kind of bullshit that drives people with ideological differences apart and it makes people that defend this kind of nonsense look like idiots. You want to tell a joke about the POTUS? go for it, be funny. This is not funny. If said about Bush, I would not find this funny. It's hate speech when you piss on the grave of someones mother. There is no joke here just disrespectful hate.
  15. drarcher

drarcher Administrator Staff Member

I didn't find it racist, although I can understand if others do. I did find it crude and degrading and don't think jokes should be made like that concerning our President.

Also, I don't think the racist issue means much when someone is straight calling your mom a whore. The later is so much more personal.
    • Like Like x 3
  16. gco211

gco211 Moderator

This was basically my reaction. I really don't think it's racist in the least. It's a joke implying that she has no idea who she slept with or why she slept with them, it really takes a strong inference on the part of the listener to move it to it being a mistake to sleep with a black man. My biggest problem was sending it from a work e-mail address. Otherwise, he's perfectly fine criticizing politicians he doesn't like or does like, as long as such issues don't mess with his ability to properly adjudicate the situation.

This was a stupid and unfunny e-mail, but not newsworthy to me.
  17. cmnelson1987

cmnelson1987 SRMer

That email pretty much sums up the politics in this country. It's all about insulting the other guy and making him look bad instead of providing solutions to the current problems. Maybe, just maybe, the people running this country (or trying to earn the right to run this country) will one day get back to worrying about actually running this country instead of fighting with each other.
  18. gco211

gco211 Moderator

To be fair, his office isn't political. I agree that it's an indictment of our politics, but it's on the level of discourse of the citizen's, not of the actual policy makers. All this does is to make it harder for him to try and get appointed as an appellate court judge.
  19. cmnelson1987

cmnelson1987 SRMer

Yeah, I wasn't really saying this case in specific, just that this email basically sums up the trend of politics in this country.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. gco211

gco211 Moderator

I agree completely. It's all about bashing the other guy and I don't really see that changing in the future, sadly.
  21. stsags

stsags SRMer

It's thinly veiled. Obama's mother in white. Obama's father is black. The joke is, his mother will sleep with anyone including black people or in this case "a dog" (nudge nudge wink wink) she has no morals because a "good white woman" would never sleep with a black man. Remember, there are people out there who are still against race mixing.
  22. Bpow0407

Bpow0407 SRMer

You're reading into it what you want to read into it, adding in additional race relation issues and other snide comments that are made by those that are racist.

I was simply breaking down what is actually presented and the conclusions that can be logically arrived at from the given wording.

Again, if you want to read into it that the dog reference is meant to be a snide comment towards black people, fine. If anything, it is referencing that the mother would have slept with anyone that night, and might infer that she typically would not have slept with a black man if not intoxicated; those possibilities aside, its clearly calling his mother a drunk whore.

Of course, since its a joke about Obama and makes any reference to his race, it must be clearly racist and intended to go to the extreme edges of racism by inferring that blacks and whites are not to mingle.... or at least that's how many people are taking this. I'd say that's just as agenda-filled as the original email itself was.
  23. stsags

stsags SRMer

Fair enough - I can see it both ways.

I don't agree it's as agenda filled as the email. This is the President of the US and I have never seen a President disrespected like this, you don't do what this Federal Judge did to him. Not Bush, Not Clinton, Not Reagan or any of them have seen this kind of despicable behavior . The opponents of Obama are some of the worst people on the planet. It is disgusting what is going on. From what Governor Brewer did to him to the Senator calling him a liar during the State of the Union plus the numerous other things in between, that has been done to him. You might be taking one thing at a time where I am adding them up.
  24. Bpow0407

Bpow0407 SRMer

Well Bush was regularly called any number of names referring to him an a dumb hick from Texas. Those that disliked him continuously, regardless of what he actually did or didn't do, because he wasn't the public speaker extraordinaire. There was an attempt made to connect his speaking ability to his intelligence, which is not a direct connection for most people and wasn't for him either.

When it comes to the office of the President, the politics from both sides have become venomous in the past decade. I can't imagine many young leaders on either side are going to even want that office in future elections, with how vicious its becoming.
  25. gribbzz

gribbzz SRMer

haha yeah, they made fun of him for something he couldn't do. That is a tangible thing. What is the tangible thing people are making fun of Obama over?

Take a look at the gas prices right now. There is an uproar saying Obama is the reason for this and saying Bush never had gas prices like this. People are just dumb and a lot of them are racist. Gas hit in the high 4s in july 2008 and it hasn't hit 4 under obama yet people are calling for his head over it
  26. gco211

gco211 Moderator

That he's an inexperienced politician who has been unable to navigate the waters of partisan politics, while also failing to rally his party and having wildly unsustainable economic policies? If Bush being unable to speak links to him being stupid is tangible, so are these qualities of Obama.
  27. stsags

stsags SRMer

You really don't see the difference between my examples and to yours?

They did it in his face as opposed to taking shots from a far that is customary when criticizing the President. When have you ever seen a US President get shouted at during a speech by a member of Congress? When have you ever seen someone wag their finger in the face of the sitting President? Walking outside of a Town Forum with loaded guns?

I didn't like Reagan towards his latter years when I was old enough to formulate some educated opinions but when I meet the man at a dinner with Tip O'Neil, I was nothing but polite and in complete awe of the man. All my political differences and I was dumbstruck to meet the POTUS. That is not happening with your side. Opponents are chastising him at inappropriate times for unreasonable reasons.
  28. stsags

stsags SRMer

You think Obama's inexperience is the issue with gas prices? Maybe you don't know the speculators on Wall St are the ones manipulating the gas prices. Maybe you don't know that we are exporting gas for the first time in over 50 years. Why are we shipping gas and oil overseas? Maybe, so the oil industry can keep the price of gas at high levels? China and India are sucking up most of the oil/gas these days which is causing a shortage. These are valid questions and one should look into them before throwing the blame around at Obama. Adjusting for inflation gas prices are not even higher than they have been at certain points of time in our history. I don't ever recall Dems blaming a Repub for gas prices when they were high under Bush.

Are we that unstable economically? The data says otherwise. Under unbelievably dire economic circumstance that Bush left this country in when he left, there is a recovery happening. It's slow and seemly unsatisfying but we are trending upwards.
  29. gco211

gco211 Moderator

I didn't bring up gas because I agree that it has little to do with Obama. Don't put words in my mouth. I think his inability to get much done has largely been because of his political naivete, with the tactics some Republicans have used he should be killing them in popularity polls but isn't. He has occasionally come off as a petulant child saying "we must compromise and Republicans are refusing" while giving no meaningful ground himself.

And yes, his economic policies are absolutely unsustainable. Look up the difference between unstable and unsustainable, it's significant haha. I think this economy is in good shape long term, but his budget for next year points out huge flaws once again. He continuously puts into the budgets changes that he knows have no chance just to pretend to be moving toward a more balanced budget. This year's budget includes getting rid of some of muni bonds tax-exempt status. Besides only really hurting local governments ability to sell bonds and those who already bought similar bonds (and slightly raising the price going forward as there is now some small amount of fear that such a loss could happen), he knows it has no shot to pass. When it fails, he'll likely say it was important to keep the conversation going, but it was really a way to make his policies look more balanced than they really are.
  30. stsags

stsags SRMer

Sorry, I misunderstood you about the gas prices. The rest of it I guess we see things in a different light. I can't argue economic issues in detail like you can. Seems you have a excellent working knowledge of these issues. I guess I need to do more research to catch up to you and discuss it.

As far as, popularity, I see that differently also. The GOP is going to get clobbered this November. They have zero shot at the WH and are struggling in lots of congressional districts. The more Limbaugh, Cantor, and Boehner continue down the path they are going, it will only get worse for the GOP. They are becoming unbelievably unlikable even by their own party. The GOP is unrecognizable these days. So filled with extremists that Reagan would not be able to call himself a Republican.